16. Developing Python Plugins¶
- 16.1. Structuring Python Plugins
- 16.2. Code Snippets
- 16.3. Using Plugin Layers
- 16.4. IDE settings for writing and debugging plugins
- 16.5. Releasing your plugin
It is possible to create plugins in the Python programming language. In comparison with classical plugins written in C++ these should be easier to write, understand, maintain and distribute due to the dynamic nature of the Python language.
Python plugins are listed together with C++ plugins in QGIS plugin manager.
They are searched for in
~/(UserProfile)/python/plugins and these paths:
For definitions of
(UserProfile) see Core and External plugins.
By setting QGIS_PLUGINPATH to an existing directory path, you can add this path to the list of paths that are searched for plugins.